photo © Emily Maye
Carmen Small20th April, 1980 | United States of America Carmen lives in Durango, Colorado, and came to the sport of cycling originally by way of triathlon (though her athletic past includes numerous other sports, to name a few: volleyball, Nordic skiing, kayaking, track and gymnastics). She’s into cooking and loves having dinner parties for friends (so if you’re into having an awesome meal cooked for you, you might want to make friends with her).
In cycling, one of the athletes she admires is her teammate Evelyn Stevens (“because Evie WILL attack!”) and one of her favorite things about being a bike racer is all the cool places you get to go and the people you get to meet on the road (maybe that’s why she says if she weren’t a bike racer, she’d probably be working as a traveling circus performer).
Famous person that people say she looks like: Chewbacca
Music that gets her amped up for a time trial: German folk music
Her personal mantra: Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
- USA National Championships RR – 3, Crit – 3, TT – 4th
- NVGP – 1 GC
- Cascade Cycling Classic – 2nd GC
- SRAM Tour of Gila – 2nd GC
- Classica Citta Di Padova – 1st
- Won NRC
2011 Race Results:
- Grand Rapids Cycling Classic Criterium – 4th
- Tour of Elk Grove:TT – 4th, Criterium 6th,, Criterium 6th
- USA National Championships TT – 6th, Criterium – 7th, RR – 8th
- Cascade Stage Race TT – 4th, GC – 12
- Redlands Bicycle Classic GC – 4th
2010 Race Results:
- USA National Championships – RR 3rd, Criterium 4th
- Nature Valley Grand Prix – GC 7th
- Tour de l’Aude – 3rd stage 3 Tour de l’Aude – 10th stage 9
- SRAM Tour of the Gila – GC 7th,
- Sea Otter Classic Road Race – 1st